I was looking up some creative writing prompts and thought the following was interesting:
Make a list of five ways you’ve changed in the last five years. What changes do you wish to make in the next five years?
Five ways I’ve changed in the last five years…hmmm. It’s not as easy as it sounds but I will give it a try.
1. I believe I have matured in my faith. I have learned a great deal over the past several years; by this I mean gaining Bible knowledge but also about the Lord and my relationship with him. I understand now that he doesn’t always answer prayer when we want him to or in the way we want him to but that things do truly work together for the good of those who love him. I have seen this in action and believe it with all my heart. I understand the importance of spiritual disciplines and studying the Word so that verses will be stored up in you when you are in need of them.
2. I have come to appreciate the importance of family more, both of my blood relatives and also my family of friends I’ve created. I always knew these people were important but that has taken on a new & deeper meaning in the last few years.
3. I’ve gotten slightly better with managing my finances. Not great, but better!
4. I’ve become somewhat more organized in my home and tried to eliminate some of the clutter.
5. I’ve become more patient. I know some of you would disagree but in general, this is something I’ve worked on for a while. I was always the queen of instant gratification but in waiting to find my home and my new job, I’ve learned that patience really does pay off.
The changes I want to make in the next five years are easier…we all have resolutions and goals!
1. I want to focus more on making time for the things I enjoy rather than simply doing things I feel I must all the time. It’s easy to put off fun for things you “have” to do but lately I am really feeling that the fun component has been missing in my life. I need it back!
2. The old standby: I want to lose weight and get in better shape physically. There are many reasons/excuses I make constantly for not focusing on this but given recent family history, it’s a change I must make before it’s too late.
3. I want to improve my financial management skills. I said that that was something that had changed/improved over the last five years but boy, do I have a ways to go.
4. I want to eliminate unnecessary clutter in my life. I want it out of my house! I am a big believer in everything having a place and often start out very well in that regard but drift. I want to be organized and maintain that. I know there are some changes I can make in my life towards that and hope to find time to work on that. It sounds silly but it’s important to me.
5. I want to continue to grow in my faith and find new and better ways to serve the children I work with. I know that is a broad statement but it is something I feel very strongly about, especially given the issues going on in our church as of late. I need to let God work on me and in me more, to help me grow in the fruits of the spirit. Which takes us back to patience…(well, really, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control…)
Very interesting exercise. Give it a try. You might find out something about yourself.